Friday 9 December 2016

DPS Article

“It was just one of those cliché situations where I had to choose between my head and my heart”
You may not know her name but there’s no doubt about it, you’ve definitely seen her face. From touring with the Arctic Monkeys at age 15 to completely reinventing herself at 18 whilst on the road with Rhianna, she’s finally planted her roots where they belong, back home in the grounds of Country Music.
Gabby Grills was welcomed back into the family by huge artists like Blake Shelton and Willie Nelson who says he’s “so damn glad that she came to her senses” [referring to her decision returning to country music]. She’s ditched all of her previous glamorous stage names and is ready to show the world some of her raw Country talent.
Growing up in the small village of Ashbourne Gabby had no idea that her fate was to be dragged around the streets of LA in a cop car or singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl just last year. Gabby sure mixed in with the wrong crowd but what do you expect going on tour with MySpace-made-famous Rock Band Arctic Monkeys. One of her friends told sources “Everything was all just getting too much for her, I could barely recognize her anymore.”
When she was younger Gabby was just like any other girl… singing in her church choir, staying after school for extra credit and riding her horse Dusty. Following her parents’ divorce back in 2006 she headed to Texas with her mother [Opal (51)] who became good friends with Ronnie Dunn and wife Janine whilst at a truck stop in Austen. Some people would think that this would be the perfect set up to launch Gabby’s career in Country Music but as Ronnie said “we don’t roll that way, if someone, anyone wants to be famous in the Country Music Industry they’re gonna have to work their ass off to get here. It’s not about who you know, it’s about how you go”. After following his advice for 5 years all it took was one person to film her practicing Elvis’ I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You and within weeks Monkey’s Alex Turner sent her family an e-mail asking for her to join them in their 2012 tour. A bit of an odd mix, but Turner said it himself that he “can really see her electrifying their concerts”, a huge compliment from the man himself.
Following the controversy of Gabby’s speech at last week’s American Music Awards where she mentioned that her “Rock Fans didn’t understand” who she really was and she felt like now she had to “strip it down to show everyone who she really is”
“I hated that image that people were putting on me, I felt like I had to live up to this crazy idea that people thought I was some kind of rebel when all I wanted to do was make music”
“Honestly those guys [the Arctic Monkeys] were amazing to me and gave me a massive platform to jump from but it just wasn’t the type of music I wanted to be making. I just got so enthralled by being on the road I was completely ignoring the fact that this wasn’t the type of music I wanted to be making”.
She admits to feeling guilty about ignoring her friends, her family and her heart’s desire to be a Country singer but the “opportunity was just too good to pass up”.
“I’m back and I’m here to stay. I’ve been working on my new album Boots & Strings, I have a few songs on there that I wrote with Amy A and The Lakes so I’m really excited to show you guys, and my new video for Sentiment is going to be released on January 5th, and I don’t wanna give away too much but there might be a little appearance from my good friends Jace and June”.
We’re so freakin excited to hear what she has in store for us and I have a feeling Country Music isn’t gonna be the same again! She is renowned worldwide for having that powerhouse voice with a Tennessee twang so we’re all ecstatic that she’s making the switch. It never really felt like she completely belonged in the realm of Rock Music, especially when Countrypolitan sat down with her to talk about her swift switch of image. “I just got caught up in the hustle and bustle of trying to be what everybody else wanted me to be when all I wanted to be was free. Of course I love my fans, but they don’t love me, they love what the makeup team, editors and managers make me, and for once in my life I just want to be me, free”.

This bold statement was followed by a few tears and whenshe made her way back into the studio she never seemed stronger “I’m back, and I’m ready to show the world who I really am and who I was always supposed to be”.

No comments:

Post a Comment